We decided to allow each writer to send in more submissions! Take a look at the slightly revised Submission guidelines. Mainly we did this because we have been a bit short on stories the last couple of years.
WE ARE NOW ACCEPTING OT ONE BUT TWO ENTRIES FOR BOTH FICTION AND CREATIVE NONFICTION AND NOT TWO BUT THREE ENTRIES IN POETRY!
If you already submitted and you want to submit another one or two, you can still do that. PLEASE do mention that you already submitted some, though. I like to get all the writings of one writer together.
Thanks! Remember the deadline of March 1, 2016.
Wanted: Poetry, Fiction, Creative Nonfiction
Published by Jackpine Writers’ Bloc of northern Minnesota.
THE TALKING STICK is a locally published and nationally recognized publication.
1. Writers must be from Minnesota or have some connection to this area.
2. DEADLINE: March 1, 2016. This year we will again offer monetary prizes in each of the 3 categories. Writers may submit for more than one category. Our Editorial Board will select the poetry and prose to be published in TS25. A published Minnesota author in each field will judge for the monetary prizes from the selected submissions, with authors’ names removed. Writers will be invited to our Book Release Party in September (tentative date is September 17, 2016). PLEASE READ SUBMISSION GUIDELINES COMPLETELY.
3. Prizes are $250 for first place and $100 for second place in each of the three categories. Works are to be UNPUBLISHED. This must NOT be on your Website or on a Blog. We want new things, unseen by the public. Submit manuscripts with name, address, and email address in upper right corner of each page. THIS MUST BE THE WAY YOU WANT YOUR NAME IN THE BOOK. Clearly mark the genre for which you are submitting: POETRY, FICTION, or CREATIVE NONFICTION. No simultaneous submissions, please. We would prefer that you do NOT start out your written piece with “inspirational” or “referenced” quotes from other literary works because of possible copyright issues, etc.
POETRY – Limit THREE entries per writer, each poem no longer than ONE page, typed single-spaced. No word count necessary. See other requirements under #3 above.
FICTION – Limit TWO short story of 1500 words or less, typed single-spaced. Number the pages and include word count at end. See other requirements under #3 above.
CREATIVE NON-FICTION – Includes essays, travel, biography, memoir, etc. Limit TWO entry of 1000 words or less, typed single-spaced. Number the pages and include word count at end. See other requirements under #3 above.
4. Send only ONE copy of each submission along with SHORT bio. Please list any writing groups you belong to and tell us if you want them included on our writing group email list. If you have a pen name, you MUST stress in a cover letter what your real name is (for the contract and mailing) and the name you want on the submission in the book, in the table of contents, and back of book MUST BE THE WAY YOU HAVE IT ON THE PAGE(S) OF SUBMITTED WORK. Also, tell us what name you want in press releases. If you do not do this, we cannot promise that we will catch the different name. PLEASE SEND ALL OF YOUR WORK AT THE SAME TIME.
5. Send ONE SASE so we can send an acceptance letter and contract to you. All contracts are to be signed and returned, but in the event a contract is not returned, submission implies permission to publish. FORMAL NOTIFICATION is required if you wish to withdraw your submission or if it is published elsewhere during this time period. After May 1, 2016, submissions
cannot be withdrawn. SUBMISSIONS WILL NOT BE RETURNED. Decision of the editorial board and judges is final. Editors and editorial board of the JWB and JWB board members are eligible for publication in TS25, but not for the monetary prizes in this contest.
6. Send hard copy to: Sharon Harris, TS SUBMISSIONS, 13320 149th Ave, Menahga, MN 56464. Send ALL your submissions for ALL categories in ONE 9×12 ENVELOPE—do not fold or staple sheets. Submission guidelines are also on our website: www.jackpinewriters.com. We are accepting submissions in electronic format again this year!! We will NOT accept submissions in the body of an email—only with our electronic form, either pdf or Word document. Do NOT send docx files—we cannot guarantee format to be correct. A SASE is not required but would be greatly appreciated. CLICK HERE TO GO TO OUR ELECTRONIC SUBMISSION FORM!
7. Contributors who have one or more pieces selected for publication in TS25 will receive ONE free copy of TS25. Your copy may be picked up at our Book Release Party in September 2016. Any books not picked up will be mailed later—we appreciate receiving $3.00 for postage. JWB requires first publication rights only. Submissions may be chosen for future publication on our website.